La Escuelita San Marcos
La Escuelita San Marcos is a bilingual preschool that is Hopewell’s onsite mission outreach in our community.
The mission of La Escuelita San Marcos is to prepare Spanish-speaking children of low-income families to thrive in education systems, develop necessary social skills and nurture life skills so they are successful in school and beyond.
This joint ministry between Hopewell Presbyterian and St. Mark’s Episcopal Churches began in September 2014. From September through May, this ministry is housed in Hopewell’s Education Building from 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays. The main focus of this program is to teach English to the Latino preschoolers, along with other skills that are required by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for entry into kindergarten.
The very capable director of this program is Jama Fleming. She may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and will be happy to answer any questions you may have about La Escuelita.
There are a variety of ways that you can help support this much-needed ministry:
- Community readers of all ages are needed to sign up to read in English for 30 minutes to our La Escuelita children on Friday mornings, beginning at 11 a.m. Books are provided, but you may bring your own if you have a favorite that you want to share. A sign-up sheet is posted on the Witness bulletin board located in the Administrative Building hallway. For more information, contact Suzanne Davis.
- Here is the Sign up Genius to volunteer.
- Donations of supplies are needed and appreciated throughout the school year.
La Escuelita “Wish” List for donations (updated Sept. 2021)
- Pom Poms, assorted sizes
- “Googly” Eyes – ones that “stick on” are the best
- Bottled water
- Boxes of Preschool sized disposable face masks, for example, the ones shown here
- Cloth face masks for our kids in need, for example, the ones shown here
- Sharpie markers, assorted colors and black
- Individual boxes of 24 Count Washable Crayola Crayons
- Skin Tone Crayola Crayons and Metallic Crayola Crayons
- Hot Chocolate Packets
- Disposable Coffee Cups with Lids
- Any other ways you can love on our teachers, such as $5 gift cards for lunch/coffee
Participate in one or all of the annual fundraisers that are held, such as the Fundraiser Dinner and Silent Auction in November, the Christmas Tree and Wreath Sale, and the Super Bowl Sunday Snack Sale.
For more information, please visit La Escuelita’s website.